Sciacca itineraries, through history, art, culture and traditions...
The Residence is 4 km far from the old town centre and from the port of Sciacca, a tourist city full of ancient palaces which show all its dominations, there are its precious ceramics, handmade by potter artisans, and there is its famous pink coral. Moreover, Sciacca is renowned for its great culinary culture, originated by the local agricultural productions. The key position render the Residence the ideal starting point to visit for example “ Valle dei Templi “ in Agrigento
the archaeological park in Selinunte, the Temple of Segesta, the numerous natural reserves as “Torre Salsa” and the park of “Zingaro”, the wild beaches of “Eraclea Minoa”, “Scala dei Turchi” and “Menfi” and the isle of “Mothia” in Marsala.
We suggest you a few activities you can do during your stay at the Residence Capo San Marco & Renella:
- Thermal tourism. The thermal baths in Sciacca are the most renowned of Sicily, these are known and appreciated from the times of ancient Greece, thanks to its sulphur waters therapeutic properties, but also to the unique presence in the world of the nebulous caverns, known as “Stufe di S. Calogero”, placed on the top of Mt Kronio.
- Seaside tourism. The Residence is 190 metres far from the beach. Moreover, the Residence, is distant one kilometre from the suggestive beach of “Capo San Marco” characterized by the alternation of sandy and rocky creeks, there are various beach resorts which make of it one of the most popular beaches in summer. You can easily reach other beautiful beaches as: “Porto Palo” and “Lido Fiori” in Menfi ( Blue Flag from more than ten years ), “Eraclea Minoa”, “Scala dei Turchi” and many other.
- Art and religious tourism. Sciacca conserves many artworks of artistic interest. A walk through its historical districts will allow the discovery of its incredible art and architecture jewels as “Basilica SS. Maria del Soccorso”, “Chiesa del Carmine”, “Basilica di San Calogero”, “Palazzo Steripinto” and the ancient city walls which include “Castello Luna”, “Porta Palermo”, “Porta San Salvatore” and “Porta San Calogero”. Among the popular traditions, the feast for the “Madonna del Soccorso”, the patron of the city, is the most important. Every year, on 2nd February and on 5th August a touching procession takes place.
- Carnival. The Carnival of Sciacca, renowned for the beauty of its papier-mâché works realized by the local potter artisans, is the oldest of Sicily, with origins dating back to the Roman period. Today the carnival is characterised by floats which parade through the old town centre followed by masked groups of people.
- Ceramic and coral. Several workshop in the old town centre of Sciacca will astonish you with the colours and the peculiarity of their artefacts. The majolicas of Sciacca have ancient origins, besides the coral, known all over the world for its particular pink colour. - Diving. Diving fans can't renounce the fascinating sea bottoms of Sciacca, between underwater caverns and wrecks. You can't renounce the diving at “Ferdinandea”, a little volcanic isle appeared in the Sicily canal in 1831 and disappeared a few months later.
- Tourist flights and excursions. It is possible to fly over the Sciacca coast with light planes and make excursions with boats to discover the beauty of the coast. Moreover you can practise windsurf in some stretches of the coast.
- Culinary itineraries. The streets of wine and olive oil are itineraries created to value territories which have always produced wine and olive oil, characterised not only by the presence of vineyards and wine cellars, olive groves and oil mill but also by natural, cultural and historical attractions. The Residence, thanks to its particular geographic position, is the ideal starting point for culinary excursions which will make you discover the old Sicilian agricultural traditions. Thanks to the particular sea conditions, in Sciacca there is a large variety of fish, especially the type called “azzurro” as for example sardines and anchovies which are treated in the local fish industries. This kind of industry is the first in Europe for sales volume. All this favoured the development of an important gastronomy and the launch of several restaurants which offer fish courses, especially in the port area. The shipping of Sciacca is the second in Sicily after that of “ Mazara del Vallo “ and among the first five in Italy.